A granny flat is a great way to add extra living space to your home without breaking the bank. And, with a little imagination and elbow grease, you can decorate your granny flat from Humpy to reflect your personal style. Here are some creative ideas to get you started.
- Paint or wallpaper one wall in a contrasting colour or pattern to add interest and break up the space. For example, if the majority of your granny flat is white, paint one wall in a bold black or bright red. Or, hang an interesting wallpaper on one feature wall.
- Bring the outdoors in by adding some greenery to your granny flat. Plants not only look good, but they also purify the air and improve indoor air quality.
- Make a Statement with Artwork – it’s a great way to add personality to your granny flat. Choose pieces that reflect your interests and style, and don’t be afraid to mix and match different mediums, frame sizes, and genres of art.
- Incorporate colourful textiles by adding some colourful throw pillows, blankets, and window treatments to inject some life into your space. Not only will this make your granny flat more inviting, but it’s also an easy way to change up the look of the space when you’re in the mood for something new.
- Get creative with furniture arrangement – if you’re working with a small space, this is a highly effective method for making the most of the square footage you have. For example, try using floating shelves instead of bulky bookcases or opt for a Murphy bed that can be tucked away when not in use.
- Accessorise your space, just like you would accessorise an outfit. Mirrors, lamps, candles, vases, rugs, and knick-knacks are all great ways to personalise your space on a budget.
- Get creative with storage. Use baskets, trunks, or shelves to store items out of sight but within easy reach when needed – this will help keep the space feeling open and uncluttered.
Once you have all of the big items in place, it’s time to focus on the finishing touches that will really pull the room together and make it feel like home sweet home! Hang pictures and artwork on walls, style bookshelves with pretty accessories, display mementos from special trips or events… the sky’s the limit! Just have fun with it and let your personality shine through.