If you are planning to build your dream home, this is certainly an exciting time, it isn’t every day that you get to design your own living space and a lot of research and planning is required. In this article, we offer a few compelling reasons to choose steel for your roofing material.
- Longevity – There isn’t another roofing material that can match steel as far as longevity goes; your new steel roof will last a lifetime and some! When looking for steel roofing, there are established companies that specialise in steel fabrications, with bespoke solutions. Rust is the only enemy of steel and the latest anti-rust applications keep rust at bay. Most roofing contractors are happy to issue a 30-year warranty on a steel roof and you can’t really beat that.
- Steel roof panels are durable – Of course, there are different thicknesses with steel roofing sheets, the thicker, the better when it comes to resisting the harsh Australian climate. The supplier can advise you regarding thickness and the panels can withstand storms and gales, due to solid fixings and the weight.
- Effective insulation – Steel roofing has a high level of insulation, higher than asphalt or clay tiles, which helps to keep your interior cool in the summer and warm in the winter. If you would like to explore the potential that steel roofing offers, search online for a company that provides steel roofing and ask them to send a technician to your home and you can discuss designs, prices and colour options. Click here for how to insulate a roof for winter.
- Minimal maintenance – if steel is primed correctly, there isn’t really anything else to do regarding maintenance, repainting after a few years might be necessary, with special reflective paint that insulates your home. Once the roof is completed, you should ask the roofing contractor to carry out an annual inspection and any minor issues can be promptly resolved.
- Excellent value for money – When compared to other roofing materials, steel is great value, your roof should last a lifetime, which is what you would expect for such a costly project. A steel roof isn’t the cheapest, but when you consider that the roof lasts a lifetime, it works out as great value for money. The cheapest isn’t always the best, especially with roofing and most Australian homeowners focus on durability and longevity, which a steel roof provides.
The best way forward is to compare a range of roofing materials and then you can make an informed decision about the best solution to meet your needs. Ask several steel roof contractors to quote for the project and choose an established contractor with extensive experience in steel roofing.
The roof is the most important component of your home and by choosing steel, you are providing the very best shelter.